Graphics Tweaks for Vanilla WoW

The perfect place if you want help finding a private server, catch up on the latest drama, or chat about retail and WoW Classic.
Sevensaveus

Graphics Tweaks for Vanilla WoW

Post by Sevensaveus » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:33 am

These tweaks are made to your /WTF/config.wtf file.

SET lod "0"
Toggles Terrain Level of Detail (LOD) "1" is on and “0” is off.

SET lodDist "100"
Sets the distance at which the Terrain Level of Detail (LOD) change occurs. The average range is 50-100. LodDist only functions when LOD is set to "1".

SET doodadAnim “0”
Setting this to "1" will enable environment animations, such as windmills and birds.

SET mapShadows “0”
Turns display of terrain shadows “1” is on and "0" is off.

SET shadowLevel "0"
Sets the resolution of the shadow maps on the terrain. “0” is high, “1” is low.

SET farclip "477.0"
This matches the Farclip slider bar in the Game Options menu. The range is 177 to 777.

SET pixelShaders "0"
Enabling pixelShaders allows the world to be rendered in less passes, potentially increasing performance on cards that support them.

SET specular "0"

Specular cannot be used without pixelShaders. This option enables specular highlighting on certain terrain textures, giving a shiny, reflective look to some objects.

SET frillDensity "48"
Sets the "Frill" Distance. "8" for a lower end machine, "16" for a mid range machine, "24" or greater for a fast machine. Goes up to 256 max i think. 256 is not for the feint of heart and might crash you.

saltygunner

Re: Graphics Tweaks for Vanilla WoW

Post by saltygunner » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:27 pm

Forgive my ignorance (I've not delved into the graphics side at all), but what will the effect be on some of these changes? For example, what is FrillDistance? What will it specifically do? Can you provide some examples? Or farClip?

Sevensaveus

Post by Sevensaveus » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:05 am

A lot are graphical options that weren't in the WoW interface, or at least not to the level they can be adjusted in the file itself.

For example FrillDistance is ground clutter (Grass and flowers). The old Nost forums have some much more in depth info here:
https://forum.nostalrius.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=1100

saltygunner

Post by saltygunner » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:09 pm

I'll have to try some of them out to see how they affect my gameplay/enjoyment of the game. Thanks for the info.

corez

Post by corez » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:18 am

Will this make it run more smooth aswell?

stealfalcon28

Post by stealfalcon28 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:35 am

Thanks for the tips!